We bought an Ariens two-stage snow blower in October of 2013. It has had normal usage and maintenance since that time.

Last week it would no longer propel itself. I took it to the designated repair place. The estimate for repair is $940. I paid $853 in 2013.

They sell new for something like $950. I guess they are disposable. I always thought that Ariens was a good brand. This has been a bitter disappointment.

I can't find any company site to complain. Somehow I would for them to know that they put out a crap product - or at least the unit I got was crap. The issue apparently revolves around the pressure plate and the difficulty that the repairman has in accessing it.

He also advises that everything is corroded. The snowblower has never spent a night outdoors.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ariens Snow Blower.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

Most self propelled tools use a fan belt and pulleys. When you engage it it just tightens up the belt so the pulleys take up the slack in the belt and it turns the pulleys.

Sounds like it just needs to either be adjusted or worst case a new fan belt. I know my snowblower has a fold down handle that loosens up the cables. When unfolded the cables tighten up. There are a series of holes for that cable to plug into on that cam to take up the slack on the cable I would image to allow for wear and the belt stretching.

How about just flipping the machine over and looking at how the works and take off your Pink Square Snowflake Hat and putting on a Thinking cap and work the problem people. Not guessing and making the problem worse!

Yup, rode hard and put away wet ; don't work for horses or snowblowers.

When my father had his old blower, like really old, he would use it then put it in the garage with a forced air heater to dry it out. I always thought it was funny since it was a snowblower but he always said you had to dry it off.

So I think the lesson is get a heater that blows hot air and dry your blower off. Also crack the door a bit so the moist air evacuates.

There are plenty of ways to gripe without e-mail : try a good old fashioned properly written letter sent via Certified Mail return receipt requested directly to someone at the company headquarters ; find the right person through research and send it along...Unfortunately, I think you have a snowball's chance in Perdition since the unit is several years old with no stated history of problems prior to this breakdown ; all warranties and indeed the warranty period itself are now void - anything could happen to a machine tool over the course of 4-5 years especially when used in harsh, wet conditions - putting the unit in the garage after use does not constitute proper maintenance and storage - the unit will become wet and subject to corrosion.

user64622179

Ariens Snow Blower should have a belt for the drive and one for the auger take it somewhere else.

@user64622179

Ariens is actually a decent brand. I've owned a few.

But like any machine in that harsh environment, they are susceptible to mechanical failures. As User64622179 pointed out, it does sound like a possible drive belt has broken. I cannot think of any repair on the machine that's would really cost $900+ to repair. The most difficult repair on them are the far-inner-output-shaft bearing.

I've replaced one on my kitchen floor in the dead of winter, in a blizzard with one eye closed, in about five hours. It sounds like the shop you went to has a extremely high labor rate or wishes to replace an entire component sub assembly instead of an individual part. I operated my blowers in Maine, they use salt on the roads, and yes there is some typical corrosion, but nothing in that short amount time could cause catastrophic disintegration. My machines were over ten years old and were running strong.

Find a "Mom and Pop" service shop, or the guy that fixes lawn and garden equipment out of his garage. They are typlicly half as much and a lot more honest then large corporate owned service centers with quotas to keep.Good luckPs, my neighbor bought one of the new Husky models. All the latest gadgets and wings snow all the way across the street.

Even this brand new blower had to go back to shop to get the reverse working when it was cold, twice. But what a beast!